Munson here with my faithful sidekick TONTO to discuss last week's game and add our own inimitable insight.TONTO, did you have a nice Thanksgiving? (TONTO: "Na'che uoto!" TRANSLATION:"Fuck You!"-Apaches , like all Native Americans, are touchy about Turkey Day, Apaches especially since we took their land and they didn't even get any turkey.) Anyway we'll break it down and in our usual fashion, no discernible order, just random thoughts as they occurred.
1) As my girlfriends (one now a wife) like to say, "Wow, that was quick!" 2 hours and 48 minutes by my watch-when was the last time you saw a football game come in significantly under 3 hours? Re-watched the game, and the first half just flew by, which was a good thing as we looked bad.
2) Wyo QB went completed 17 passes for 78 yards-4.59 yds. per.That's a good stat-for rushing! Martin had 5.8 yards per carry.(TONTO(I'll translate):If Americans had gotten that few yards we'd still own Arizona, N.M., and parts of Texas).
3) Mitch Burroughs kept his fumble streak alive-every game. I know he makes plays too but I like guys who make plays AND don't fuck up.
4) Where was Bold1?
5) Wyoming D looked gassed on our second drive of the game-as F.Lee Ermey would put it, it looked like their assholes were sucking buttermilk. Lots of "teapots" out there. BUT they got off the field somehow.
6) Wyo. away unis made them look, on tv, like attendants in an insane asylum. Calling Randall McMurphy (ref "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest")(TONTO:"Don't forget the big Indian-snuffed McMurphy; I've had similar thoughts about you.")
7) Wyo.'s D demonstrated that when you are not good stopping the run, it doesn't much matter what you ARE good at. Big holes-I'd like to think it was our O-line. Like to.
8) However, we did hole them to lowest total yards of year, and that included TCU and, I think, Nebraska. Kudos D!
9) Along those lines credit Coach K and staff with gaming up a good one. Iloka at CB, and since our pass rush wasn't working go with 8 in coverage. I know this QB was green, but it screwed him up sum.
10) I think our young CBs have made strides. They aren't where they need to be, not yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if Gavins has more trouble getting on the field than any of us would have expected come next fall.
11) I hate Mtn. Network production. We missed game action so they could show us stupid stats. Mistakes on down, distance, names-one of them even said of Wyo.s 4th quarter TD drive "this was the drive they needed!" Hello-down 29 points, in the 4th, what, did they huddle up and say "Ok let's run some time off"? If you're up 29 in the 4th and the other team wants to run the bone, keep it in the ground, whittle away-well, you let 'em. Do I need to even say that? The Mtn. announcers did.
12) Last Pick 6 from Kellen was either Nevada or maybe La Tech. in '08-I think. La. Tech pick may have been '09.
13) DJ Harper is not the runner he was but damn he makes a good receiver as does Martin. I really like the Martin run-up-the-gut-turn-around play; it's simple, and successful. Helps to have a QB who can read Sanskrit in the middle of a play.
14) I think we should call Matt Millen's TD catch the "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" play. Speaking of it, after we scored our first TD, with just over a minute left, I figured the half would be over and went upstairs. Missed the "live" play; when my wife told me I could not figure out how we got the ball back. serves me right for trying to think.
15) Mtn. West logo on the Blue looks like a floor rug at a mid tier Alcupulco hotel. (TONTO: (looking annoyed;gets touchy on subject of rugs 'cuz so many of his cuzz's got to sell 'em to survive.)
16) For a team that does not appear to have any articulable strengths, Wyoming gave us a hell of a first half.
17) I think the officials were ok. Let 'em play. Didn't mind no call on interference that we wanted early in game.
18) Antwon Murray giving ref conversation on sideline until tossed by ass't coach-dude it may have been bad call but don't get yourself kicked out!
Well, that about sums it up. TONTO, you've been quieter than usual. Any last thoughts? TONTO: well, I won't translate that; Thanksgiving doesn't bring out the best in him. We'll ride off now; looking forward to next week.
HI HO SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!